At Minneapolis Public Schools, we are committed to using our resources in a way that’s best for our students.
Whether you are a community member, parent, staff member, or student, we’d love to have you learn more about the budget process.
View this video to learn more about how our budgets are developed. Videos in Hmong, Somali and Spanish are located in links below.
There are many opportunities for families, residents of Minneapolis, and staff members to get involved in the budget process.
• Late January — Principals engage with school community about priorities
• Mid-Feb. — Allocations are sent out to schools and departments
• Late February-early March — Principals share budget decisions with school community
• Feb. 20-March 3 — Budget tie-out files are completed by schools and departments
• March 6-24 — Budget tie-out files approved by Finance and Human Resources
• April-May — Final budget work completed including the Interview and Select process for teachers
• May 23 — Budget is presented to Board
• June 6 — Board votes on Budget adoption
MPS Finance Department
This year, for department budgets, we are using a methodology called Priority Based Budgeting. You can learn more about the process and view MPS budget documents here.
We share all historical documents describing our budgets online here.